How did you get started?
When I was at school I was heavily overweight and had a poor diet. I weighted 20 stone at the age of 18 and after being rejected from the army for being 3.5 stone overweight I really wanted to do something about it. Once I started to diet I swore to myself that I would cycle everywhere whether it be work, a friends, to the shop e.t.c. I did this for 6 months and lost 5 stone. Once I had lost most of my weight I wanted to put some size back on so I began to train in a local gym 3 times a week and quickly made friends with some of the people there.
One day a friend asked me to do deadlifts with him as I had never done the exercise before and wasn’t sure how. We started off light and by the end of it my friend was in shock! He said I made it look easy as we gradually built the weight upto 270kg! Afterward he told me that I should look into Strongman as I had the potential to compete. A few months down the line I decided to watch a local strongman compatition and I loved it so much that the next day I signed up for one in Manchester. I competed and finished 2nd, since then I’ve been hooked on the sport!
What are your greatest achievements?
- Competed in finland twice coming 1st and 2nd
- Competed in WSM 2011 and finished 3 in my group
- Deadlifting 410kg
Example of diet
- Meal 1: 50g whey protein and orange juice.
- Meal 2: 15 eggs white 4 yokes scrambled with spinach 150g raw oats with whole milk
- Meal 3: 1 chicken breast with white rice or 50g whey / milk / soya protein shake, 230g Greece yoghurt, 2 tsp honey, 2tsp peanut butter, mixture of fruit, Flax seeds.
- Meal 4: 1-2 large chicken breasts or wild salmon, long gain rice or sweet potato, green bean, or a green veg.
- Meal 5: 1 chicken breast with white rice or 50g whey / milk / soya protein shake, 230g Greece yoghurt, 2 tsp honey, 2tsp peanut butter, mixture of fruit, Flax seeds.
- Meal 6: 1 large inch thick rump or sirloin steak, or wild salmon or chicken – sweet potato green veg.
- Meal 7: 300g cottage cheese, pint of milk 2tsp peanut butter.
- Meal 8: 50g Casein / soya protein shake.
- Meal 9: 25g another casein shake
What supplements do you use?
- WPI Intensity
- Protein Complex
- Casein sustain
- Primary HMB
- Primary BCAA
- Primary Beta-alanine
- Primary Caffeine Caps
I also use ZMA, L-glutamine, soya, mulit vit, zinc, Pre work out formula. g
What does your current work-out routine look like?
I follow this routine over 8-10 days.
- Day 1: Overhead/Triceps/core.
- Day 2: Upper and lower back/Biceps/Core.
- Day 3: Strongman events, I pick 3 events.
- Day 4: Chest/core.
- Day 5: Legs/Calves.
- Day 6: Strongman events, I pick 3 events.
What are your max lifts?
- Bench- 230kg.
- Squat – 310kg.
- Deadlift – 410kg.
What’s your opinion on the run of the mill “Bulk & cut” way of training?
At the end of the day any training is better than doing nothing at all!
Who is your favourite bodybuilder, strongman or powerlifter?
My favourite bodybuilder has to be Ronine Coleman, as for my favourite strongman and powerlifter – that would be Brian Shaw & Andy Bolton. All three are amazing athletes that excel in their sports.
If you could give someone any advice, what would it be?
Take your time, train smart ,stay injury free and listen to your body.